Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Sad Truth

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting in a room with Donovan and Howie when I hear this conversation:

Howie - Think about it Donovan, there's no way Santa can be real.

Donovan - Yeah he is Howie.

Howie - There's no way he can really go around to every single house all in one night. And he can't fit presents down chimneys. And there is no way anyone could survive living in the North Pole.

Donovan - Yes he's real, he just magical Howie.

Howie - Do you really think he could fit that trampoline in his sleigh? I think mom
and dad just bought it at Walmart and put it together themselves.

Donovan - Mom, Santa's real isn't he?

Me - Go talk to your dad.

So Matt has a little talk with them and reveals this sad truth. Howie was fine afterwards - it was just as he suspected, but the truth was harder on Donovan. I asked him how he was doing and he told me he was kind of sad. But then he says, "at least we still have the Easter bunny". I could have died! And I had to catch Howie as he was about to say something like, "seriously Donovan?" The look he gave Donovan was hilarious. I didn't have the heart to take away this last glimmer of hope. But it didn't last. A few days later Donovan found my planner and saw that on my to-do list was fill eggs and baskets. He sadly approached me and said, "Mom, the Easter Bunny isn't real is he?" I gave him a big hug and said, "no, he isn't." It was so sad! Donovan is such a sweet and innocent boy, I hope the world is kind to him.

4 comments:

Kristin Jones said...

Ugh...that's the worst!! What a sweet boy!

Pam said...

He is such a dear sweet innocent boy. I remember when Scott found out = he was so mad at us for lying to him. It does make you feel bad, but those things are so much fun when you are young and help make childhood magical! They can help make things fun for their younger brothers and sister and cousins.

Rachel said...

ohhhhh that is the saddest story :(
i think i still believed til i was 10!

Brooke Soderholm (crazysodfam) said...

That is super sad! I need to make sure my kids don't read your blog anytime soon! I'm not ready for them to grow up that much yet!