Sunday, February 24, 2008

President's Day Ice Fishing

I might have accidentally started a family tradition that I don't think I want to commit to. Last year we happened to do this same activity, on the same day, at the same place. Matt LOVES ice fishing, well basically, he loves any kind of fishing. He's been saying how fun he thinks it would be for the whole family to go ice fishing, and I have resisted until last Monday. So we went and it was pretty much a joke. Matt got Nina a fishing rod for her birthday so initially she was excited to be out fishing, but the all kids got bored pretty quickly. They started throwing ice balls into the water, getting uncomfortably close to the holes, bumping into Matt's fishing rod and the usual fighting. Exactly what I predicted would happen, but at least none of the kids fell into the hole like last year. So aside from that non-stop policing, the ice was totally freaking me out. We would keep hearing these loud cracks and I worried that any minute we were all going to fall in. So that was our fishing trip and shockingly we didn't catch anything. Maybe we'll be busy next President's Day!

Nina loving her new Barbie fishing rod.


Matt likes to try to see the fish in the water. To each his own.


Donovan sat for a few seconds with Nina's fishing rod...


So of course, Howie had to try as well.


And this is what they did the rest of the time.

7 comments:

Jill said...

Yeah, sorry Adam doesn't get that day off. I think maybe next year you'll have some serious plans.

Seth Jenson said...

nice family adventure! when it warms up a little maybe matt can teach me a thing or two about fishing.

Kim said...

You are a good wife! I don't know why but I always find anything we do ten times harder now that we have Payton yet you have 3 kids and still do tons of fun things. I need to work on being more courageous!

Seth Jenson said...

janelle, can you teach me how to post blog pictures with a nice border around the image like your pics?

The Bentley's said...

you should win mother of the year for that... I'm totally serious. what a trooper.. and it sounds about like it would have gone with our kids... everyone fighting, crying, screaming, spitting, and me Yelling.. oh joy!

The Ashcroft's said...

Now I see what you were talking about it being an adventure. You two are much more enthusiastic than I would be. Cute pictures though.
Janelle, I tagged you, it's kinda long, especially because you have three children. Go to my blog to see what it is....

Megan Jenson said...

I laughed when I saw this post because of my ice fishing comment on one of our posts a few weeks ago. I was glad to see that you guys actually went...it looks so cold!