Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Some lessons I've learned

Having children is a wonderful thing. There are so many opportunities for learning and growth that wouldn't come any other way. I have learned a few things this week that I'd love to share!

I learned I DO NOT like it when my 14 month old baby, who has been a great sleeper for so long, decides he wants to wake up at random times in the middle of the night to hang out. Like last night how we hung out at 2 a.m. until 3:45 because the sleep thing wasn't working out for him. Or like the night before how he wanted to play from 4:30 - 5:30 a.m. Not cool buddy.

I was also reminded that when things are quiet, it's not because my children are being angelic sweethearts. They are usually not cleaning their rooms and writing letters of love and appreciation to me. They are most likely reaching up to the bowl of bananas I left on the table, tipping it over and smearing it everywhere.




And somewhere in my experience as a mom, I forgot that you should clean up the baby first before you tackle the banana mess. Otherwise while you are at the sink rinsing out your washcloth, that messy baby will grab onto your pants and pull himself up. And of course those cute little hands and face will totally get your pants dirty with banana and snot.

I also learned that addictions to sugar are really annoying. This week my favorite daughter became my least favorite daughter. Here we have the bowl of syrup she poured herself.



I wasn't in the right frame of mind to take pictures of two other incidents. The first was the 25 lb. bag of sugar she cut open and dumped in our storage room. Not the whole bag at least. And the other involved a 5 lb. bag of sugar, a cup of water, walnuts, and a super-spread-out-all-over-the-livingroom-and-behind-the-couch mess. I am close to banning sugar in our house.


I learned that I am not too big into science projects. I learned that it makes me quite happy that Matt doesn't mind them at all. Here Donovan and Matt are growing rock candy.



And last night as I got to take all the kids to the Blue and Gold banquet by myself, I was reminded of how awesome Donovan and Howie are. They are rocking their scout requirements. They have also stepped up their level of helpfulness and I learned I like that a lot!




And finally, I learned that Cameron knows the proper use of the word "agile". He told me he was an agile guy and would probably be a good jedi. I continue to like this boy.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

are those full cartons of ice cream? when can i come over for dessert?